Pregnant and hcg levels were normal. Now hcg levels were zero and did not check for heartbeat. Advise?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016
Excellent

OBGYN
Question
My best friend is about 2 months pregnant. She went to her obgyn about 5-7 days ago and her hcg levels were 17 and was told it was normal. Today they said her hcg levels were 0 and that she had a chemical pregnancy. they did not check for the baby's heartbeat. Is what they are saying possibe?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chemical pregnancy is a very early miscarriage.

Detailed Answer:

From your given information and blood hCG level, it is more likely suggestive of Chemical Pregnancy i.e a fertilized egg does not attach itself to the uterine wall. It is also called very early miscarriage which is often unnoticed and account for 50 to 70% of overall miscarriage.

In chemical pregnancy, miscarriage occurs just after implantation and it gives rise to false positive home pregnancy test. Also, there is no conclusive causes for developing chemical pregnancy. However, certain factors like untreated thyroid disease, luteal phase defect, hormonal imbalance, inadequate uterine lining, some infections (toxoplasmosis, chlamydia, syphilis etc) may contribute potential risk for above condition.

In this context, additional ultrasound scan is not required for confirmation in my opinion as her latest beta-hCG level is "0" and she comes back to non pregnant state. So, there is no question about fetal heart beat.

She can plan for next pregnancy after 3 months following normal thyroid level or completely treated and must eliminate above mentioned risk factors. In addition, she would take vitamin & folic acid supplements with balanced diet for at least 3 months.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Pregnant and hcg levels were normal. Now hcg levels were zero and did not check for heartbeat. Advise? 7 minutes later
I know that, but can i be having one at 5 wks pregnant?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detalis are given below.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Most cases of chemical pregnancy are detected after 4 weeks. However, very few percentage are seen within 4 to 5 weeks XXXXXXX due to late conception or late detachment of fetal tissue from uterine wall. It is quite uncertain to predict the outcome in all cases.

Pregnancy test gives positive result for 2-4 weeks after miscarriage. Too low beta hCG value significantly indicates chemical pregnancy and nothing else.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant and hcg levels were normal. Now hcg levels were zero and did not check for heartbeat. Advise? 9 minutes later
Would i be having a stretching crampy feeling even b

Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stretching or cramp due to relaxin hormone.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

Stretching or cramp like feeling mainly due to relaxin hormone, secreted from corpus luteum in non-pregnant state or placenta during early pregnancy.

It basically causes relaxation of pelvic ligaments to produce cramp. However, it will be overcome with time in the absence of pregnancy.

Hope, it helps to understand.

Dr Soumen

Is it possible i have been misdiagnosed

Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibilty of misdiagnosed is quite rare.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Too low beta hCG level (0) significantly eliminates possible conception. It is normal level in non-pregnant state. So, possibility of misdiagnosed is extremely rare.

However, if you have doubt in mind and stressed yourself, then I suggest you to undergo one ultrasound scan to get detailed picture. It will be helpful to clear confusion.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant and hcg levels were normal. Now hcg levels were zero and did not check for heartbeat. Advise? 22 hours later
Yea but do you know the percentage?????

Answered by Dr. S Patra 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Extremely rare.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for response.

Viable pregnancy is rarely misdiagnosed and beta-hCG is more conclusive for that. It is quite unpredictable for final outcome of a pregnancy until you undergo other investigation like ultrasound scan etc.

Falling hCG levels nearly always mean miscarriage either early or late. As you have undergone consecutive two times beta-hCG test, then chance of misdiagnosed is extremely rare. It is possibly 1 in 10,000 or even more.

Hope, I have clarified the things. Good luck.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Pregnant and hcg levels were normal. Now hcg levels were zero and did not check for heartbeat. Advise? 12 hours later
in a chemical pregnancy, does the fertilized egg ever get past the egg stage?
Does the egg ever develope into a fetus before it reabsorbs into the body?

Answered by Dr. S Patra 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, egg is fertilized in chemical pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

Yes, egg is fertilized in chemical pregnancy but there after, it does not implant properly on the uterine wall in most cases which can cause very early miscarriage.

However, detachment of fetal tissue can occur just after implantation or within a week of first missed period. Gradually falling of blood beta-hCG level and false positive pregnancy test are ominous feature of chemical pregnancy.

Sometimes fertilized egg may turn into fetus before it absorb inside the body and it remains unnoticed till pregnancy is confirmed by blood test or ultrasound scan.

Hope, everything is clarified.

Dr Soumen