Pregnant and having hair fall. Feeling stress and depression. Taking cipralex. Is it safe to take the medicine? Precautions for pregnancy?

Question
Hi - my wife is 6 months pregnant now. She started to notice severe hair fall from 2nd month of pregnancy and thats when she got too stressed. We started her treatment for hair fall that seems to be working fine but her stress did not go away and slowly she got into deep depression. We consulted a psychaitrist recently who had put her on Cipralex 10 mg. Just wanted a second opinion if its safe for her to take this medicine considering that she is entering her 3rd trimester now. Are there any precautions that we should take pre and post delivery?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Goyal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Safety not established. Better to change the drug

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,

Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX

Cipralex is escitalopram which belongs to the category of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor drugs.Although this drug is best in this category but its safety in pregnancy has not been established.

It has been seen that babies of pregnant women who have taken such type medicines in third trimester of pregnancy may have serotonergic or withdrawal symptoms of drug like difficult breathing and feeding, seizures & muscle stiffness and may require tube feeding and breathing support and longer hospital stay.

I will suggest you to discuss with your psychiatrist again about the drug and find out some other safe alternative.

Good Luck
Hope this information is helpful and informative.
If you have further queries you can directly reach out to me on the following URL:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: Pregnant and having hair fall. Feeling stress and depression. Taking cipralex. Is it safe to take the medicine? Precautions for pregnancy? 2 hours later
Thanks for your response. Can you please name a few safer drugs that we can discuss with our doctor?

Brief Answer:
Similar drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Citalopram, fluoxetine,amitiptyline and imipramine are some other antidepressants. However, they will also have some similar side effects. I will suggest you to discuss the requirement of medicinal treatment and if it is must then discuss the risk benefit ratio of these medicines and only after understanding these undesirable effects, you should start these medicines.

Dr Deepti