Pregnant and haven't gained any weight instead have lost. Is it normal during second trimester?

May 2014

ill be 15 weeks pregnant tommorow! I havent gained any weight yet (actually lost around 5 pounds) is it ok to not start gaining weight once you hit your second trimester? should I worry or should it be coming soon?
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in to us. Weight depends on height of an individual. During pregnancy, there is an approximate chart which shows the appropriate expected weight gain during pregnancy for a given pre pregnancy weight and height of the woman. With this information the weight gain during pregnancy is closely monitored. There should be NO weight loss during pregnancy. At 15 weeks the minimum weight gain for a 50 kgs woman standing 5 feet tall is about 2.5 kgs or 5.5 pounds. I suggest you get your pregnancy scan done and check for any fetal growth problems or small for date pregnancy. Then you must consult your gynecologist for and underlying medical conditions like anemia and thyroid disorders and take necessary guidance during pregnancy. Please get a daily food intake chart from a nutritionist detailing important nutrients and foods that are recommended for you. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek