Pregnant and have a history of low potassium. Is it safe to use that contains potassium chloride?

Im 7 weeks pregnant and wondered if it safe for me to use salt substitue that contains pottasium chloride. I have a histoty of low pottasium and use it?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please check serum levels and use only if needed.

Detailed Answer:

Potassium chloride comes under pregnancy category C and its use is permitted only when the benefits outweigh the risks. There is a possibility of maternal and fetal cardiac arrhythmias with abnormal serum potassium levels. Therefore, serum potassium levels should be closely monitored during treatment and supplementation is given only when indicated.

The daily requirement of potassium in a pregnant woman is 4,700 mg. Low potassium levels or hypokalemia can cause symptoms like fatigue, constipation, muscle weakness and abnormal heart rhythms. It would be better if medication is not taken during very early pregnancy. Instead foods XXXXXXX in potassium like potatoes, tomato products, white beans and yogurt can be taken.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help.