Pregnant and breastfeeding child. Want to abort, given Mifeprin and misoprost. Safe to lactate with this medicine?

Mar 2013
Hi, I have a 16 month old baby gal whom I am still breast feeding. Also, I am pregnant (5weeks) and want to abort the pregnancy. My doctor adviced for medical MTP and gave me Mifeprin 200 mg (3tab) followed by Misoprost 200 (2tab) after 2 days. I asked her repeatedly if the medicines are safe while I am feeding my little one and she says yes. However, I read in the precautions and warnings of the medicine that lactation should be stopped while taking the medicine. I quoted the same to my doc and she still says that I can continue feeding my baby. Please advice me what to do. I don't want any thing to go wrong with my baby. My baby is very attached to breast feed and its not easy for me to stop feeding her so soon. Kindly advice ASAP.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

There are no published reports of adverse effects of Mifepristone or Misoprostol on breastfed infants.
The drugs however are secreted into breast milk. Your doctor is right, as the warning exists, but there are no proven side effects of the same.
You could give your daughter bottle ( expressed breast milk ) for a couple of days while you take the drug, if you are too anxious.
Even otherwise, as your doctor said, you can go ahead and take the medical abortion kit, because there are only 5 tablets to be taken after all.
Another third option is to insist on surgical abortion ( D and C ) if you want to avoid the pills.
Apart from the emotional aspects, a 16 month old baby can very well manage without breast milk for a few days, but the breast milk letdown may decrease as a result.

All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please close the discussion, and provide a rating for the answer given.
Follow-up: Pregnant and breastfeeding child. Want to abort, given Mifeprin and misoprost. Safe to lactate with this medicine? 2 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I will go for the medicines while feeding my baby as suggested by you and my doc. However, can I ask you, in case if the hormone tablets effect my baby (just in case), what will be it like? I mean, will she get fever or diaherrea or something else. Just little anxious.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXXX
I assure you there would be no side effects of any kind.
Please go through the following link - it is a strong scientific study -
WWW.WWWW.WW Take care, and feel free to discuss with me anytime.