Pregnant and been using retin cream on face and belly for ingrown hair. Is it safe?

I am 16 week pregnant and been using retin a 0.5 % cream on my face and belly for ingrown hair is it safe?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 35 minutes later
Dear mrs. XXXXXXX welcome to healthcare magic.
The cream you asked for contains Tretinoin, which is contraindicated during pregnancy and should be used with caution during lactation.
It was documented as a teratogen in animals especially if used in the first trimester.
Of course topical use is less teratogenic than systemic use.
I advise you to stop using this drug and search with your dermatologist for other alternatives for your condition.
As for the current pregnancy don't worry because as I told you topical cream is less effective as a teratogen than systemic, also you have passed the first trimester.
I hope I have answered your query and will be happy to answer any questions in the future.
I wish you a successful pregnancy ending in a healthy beautiful baby.
Many thanks,
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Pregnant and been using retin cream on face and belly for ingrown hair. Is it safe? 1 hour later
Would you recommend a alternative product to use on my ingrown hair on lower belly.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 6 hours later
Hi again,

It will be much better to consult your dermatologist, reminding him that you are pregnant, and that local creams containing retinoids acid or tetracyclines are contraindicated.

Here are some advice which may help:
- Exfoliate the area twice daily by gentle rubbing in different directions. You may use salt or olive oil and sugar. But be gentle in order not to induce bleeding.
- Apply a warm moist compress for a few minutes, this will soften the skin and help bring the hair closer to the skin.
- Use a sterile needle tip to gently tease the hair out. Don't dig and don't cut the skin, just make the ingrown end out of the skin.

Also there are some advice to prevent recurrence:
- Wash the area daily with an antiseptic soap and avoid wearing tight clothes.
- Always make sure the razor is clean and sharp before use. Invest in a good quality shaving cream.
- Don't shave unless necessary, frequent shaving makes hair grow faster and increases the chance of ingrowing.

If the above methods fail, consult your dermatologist as advised before.

I hope these words be useful to you.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.