Pregnant and ate something that had listeria. Chances of getting infected?

I am pregnant and wonderinf, If I ate something TODAY that "may have had" listeria, but im having a cesarean this coming monday, XXXXXXX 17, would my baby be safe and delivered before listeria could get to her? Basically 2 days after eating something containing listeria. Thanks so much! :)
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 25 hours later

Thank you for your query.

You need to worry only if you develop fever, chills, muscle aches and stiffness of neck. Blood investigation is the confirmatory test once symptoms start. Stool examination is inconclusive.

The incubation period of listeriosis is 3 to 70 days with a median of 21 days. Hence you need not worry.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son/daughter an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Pregnant and ate something that had listeria. Chances of getting infected? 1 hour later
Just to clarify...So the baby would NOT be infected with listeria? If I ate something contaminated with listeria TODAY? It would be to soon for the virus to affect her? Basically, she'd be born 18 hours AFTER I "may have" eaten something with listeria. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 31 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

It is very unlikely that the baby will be affected as we are not sure whether you have been infected. So let us pray for the best and be positive.

Wishing you all the best.