Pregnant and advised to take zocef for recurring UTI. What is the cure?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
I AM XXXXXXX XXXXXXX AGE-24 Y HIGHT -5'4" WT-62 kgs 28 th WEEK PREGNANT I AM SUFFERING FROM UTI FROM 10TH WEEK AND IT RECURED TWICE MORE AT 26 TH WEEK AND NOW 28TH WEEK AGAIN . DR GAVE TAXIM AZ 200MG( Cefixime (200 mg) THEN CLAVAM 1225 INJECTED 5 DAYS AND CLAVAM 625 BD 5DAYS . AFTER 26 TH WEEK DR GIVE ZOCEF 500 WHICH IS RESISTANT IN CULTURE AZIYHROMYCIN IS INTERMEDIATE SENSITIVE SO DR GIVE AZIBAC 500 (AZITHROMYCIN ) BUT AFTER 10 DAYS SYMPTOM RECURED( PUS COUNT 5-7 /RBC 1-2 ) .DR GIVE Martifur (Nitrofurantoin) - 100mg
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 1 hour later
Brief Answer: UTI In pregnancy Detailed Answer: Hi Dear XXXXXXX Thanks for choosing health care magic for your query. I have gone through your query and your reports and I understand your concern regarding UTI not responding to antibiotics prescribed to you. I want to elaborate on few details about UTI in pregnancy. UTI is the most common infection occurring in pregnancy. The bacteria causing UTI in pregnancy include E.coli, Klebsiella, Proteus and Staphylococcus which usually develop resistance to many antibiotics. Hence they are called multidrug resistant organisms. So it becomes very important to first do a culture sensitivity of urine and then only prescribe appropriate antibiotics. Your doctor has prescribed appropriate antibiotics based on the culture report. Even though many antibiotics show sensitivity in your report only few of them can be prescribed during pregnancy. The list is mentioned below: 1. Nitrofurantoin 2. Amoxicillin 3. Amoxy-Clav 4. Cephalexin 5. Cephotaxime I suggest you complete the full course of nitrofurantoin prescribed and follow the following to prevent recurrence of infection: 1. Good hygiene and cleanliness has to be maintained in the perineal area as much as possible. 2. Wipe from front to back while cleaning the anal area after passing stools to avoid contamination of urethra by feces. 3. Wash hands before and after using the toilet. 4. Use washcloths to clean the genital area. 5. Clean the area near the urethra with soap during bathing. These will prevent recurrence of the infection. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please get back if any more clarifications. Thanks.