Pregnant. Will it be safe to use a mifeprin kit to terminate pregnancy?

hi doctor
My wife , she hasnt got her periods since 2months and 15 days , we have done pregnancy test and its showing positive , will it be safe to use a mifeprin kit .( a combination of mifepristone 1*200 gm tablet & misoprostol 4* 200 gm tablets) to terminate the pregenancy in a safe way . please suggest me a best way , as shes having her exams as well
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX

I think your wife has been pregnant for more than two months.

It is not advisable to terminate pregnancy with medicines at this stage. Mifeprin kit has side-effects. The chances of getting an abortion at this stage is low. Fetus may not expel after termination, as it's size will be big by now. The chances of excessive bleeding are increased and the woman may develop hemorrhage and shock.

At this stage, only surgical termination of pregnancy can be undertaken by a specialist. The procedure is called as dilatation and curettage. It is safe and has minimal after effects. It is also advised not to delay the procedure further, if you have decided about abortion.

I hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee Punj