Pregnant. Will it be safe to take duphaston 10mg and loprin 75mg?

May 2013
Hi Doctor,
My wife is 30 years old, had her first miscarriage (1st conception) 3 months back (no DNC). now she is 4 Weeks & 4 Days pregnant, and her doctor has prescribed, Duphaston 10mg 2/day+Loprin 75mg 1/day.
My question :
1. Are these drugs necessary, as she conceived naturally both the times?
2. If taken what are the side effects of these drugs?
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Though your wife conceived naturally, the doctor might have kept her on these drugs as a preventive measure because she had previous abortion.
Duphaston which is a progesterone, will help in maintenance of pregnancy and in preventing premature uterine contractions.
It can cause side effects like nausea, vomitings, bloating sensation etc.
Aspirin also helps in preventing abortion due to conditions like hypertensive disorders, fetal growth retardation etc.
It can also cause general side effects like gastritis, bowel disturbances, drop in prostaglandins production etc.
But usually doctors will prescribe these drugs as benefits over weigh the risks here.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.