Pregnant. Which Omega 3 supplement is good. Advised Nutrilite Salmon omega 3. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi Doc, My wife is 30 weeks Pregnant and we wanted to know which Omega 3 Supplement is safe. We were told Nutrilite Salmon Omega 3 from Amway is a safe option. What all other supplements are required.

Thanks & regards,
XXXXX
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Yes, you can use the nutrilite salmon omega 3 as told by your doctor.
Other better products are:
-Trimester combi pack - which contains three tablets.
One tablet contains EPA and DHA(derived from omega 3 fatty acids)
Second one contains iron and
Third one contains calcium.
-Folinext D - contains folic acid and DHA. etc.

Generally recommended supplements in pregnancy are:
-Folic acid
-Iron
-Calcium
-DHA
-Multivitamins and minerals etc.
Along with this taking nutritious diet, milk, fruits etc. are important.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Which Omega 3 supplement is good. Advised Nutrilite Salmon omega 3. Suggest? 16 days later
Hi Doc, My Wife's Amnioticfluid index is 10.5, She was advised RL 500X2 infusion for 4 days to enhance the Liquor volume, but the last time we did that, we found the baby movements reduced drastically. We are worried.

1. Is the RL infusion required with a 10.5 index
2. Will fetal movements reduce due to this infusion.

Thanks & regards,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

1.Usually AFI of 10 to 15 can be taken as normal only.
If needed you can go for l-arginine sachets, which can be taken by mixing in water.
Plenty of oral fluids and rest in left lateral position can help to some extent.
You can go for repeat scan after one or two weeks, if there is no improvement in IV aminoacid infusions etc. for hyperalimentation with your doctor's advice.

These infusions are needed for osmosis and to increase the amniotic fluid level, so here dextrose is better than ringer lactate generally.

2.Usually fetal movements won't decrease with infusion.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.