Pregnant. What test should be taken to check ectopic pregnancy?

Jun 2015

Hello doctor,
I am 35 years old female. I am now 47 day old pregnant. I had my last period on 5th Feb and my cycle is 32 days. I have taken 3 times home test and all the 3 times tests have come positive.

I have not done any other tests as of now. Should I do take any other tests to check for elctopic pregnancy etc.?

I dont have any health issues as of now except gastric problem I feel always full. What should I do for that?

Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

First of all Congratulations.

As your last period was on 5th Feb & you are 47 days pregnant, it will be better to XXXXXXX an Obstretician for an Antenatal checkup.
It will be helpful in assessing the health status & well being of both mother & the fetus.

Certain investigations need to be carried out:
1. Hemoglobin estimation- to rule out anemia
2. Urine examination
3. Blood group & Rh typing- to prevent ABO & Rh incompatibility
4. Blood pressure & blood sugar level (if needed)
5. Ultrasound scan of abdomen- to identify the gestational sac, estimation of gestational age & to rule out any ectopic pregnancy.

Folic acid tablets are given to prevent any Neural tube defects in the fetus.
Kindly continue them as advised.

Regarding the issue of gastric problem, it can be attributed to "morning sickness"
or due to indigestion.
Management involves:
1. Maintain adequate hydration & nutritious balanced diet.
2. Have your diet at regularly and at appropriate time of the day. Do not skip breakfast
3. Do not take large meal at a time. Multiple small meals can be taken instead.
4. Avoid spicy, oily foods & gas producing foods like cabbage, etc.

Wishing you a Good Health.

Let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.