Pregnant. What is meant by increased number of leukocytes in the vaginal smear?

May 2013
I am 4 months pregnant and my review is diagnosed in Pope II and increased number of leukocytes in the vaginal smear?Is that something XXXXXXX and how is it treated?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Class II in pap smear indicates atypical cells.
This can be atypical cells of uncertain significance or due to infection etc.
Usually during pregnancy the number of neutrophils will be less in pap smear.
So according to increased number of leukocytes and atypical cells there is possibility for infection.
If your doctor suggests you can go for colposcopy, swab for culture and sensitivity to find out the exact cause of abnormality.
Treatment for infection can be taken with medicines which are safer in pregnancy.
Usually abnormal smear will not affect the baby, but infection should be treated early and completely to prevent premature uterine action, chorioamnionitis etc.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.