Pregnant. What diseases can I contract from coming into contact with the urine of an infected person?

Excellent

Question
What diseases can I contract from coming into contact with the urine of an infected person? I used the restroom and accidentally wiped with toilet paper that was soiled with someone else's urine. I am 27 weeks pregnant and am primarily concerned about diseases that could impact the health of my baby.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Need not worry, Urine is usually sterile with no harmful bacteria.

Rarely, if the person had pregnancy.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Pregnant. What diseases can I contract from coming into contact with the urine of an infected person? 1 minute later
What about cytomegalovirus (CMV)? I think I heard that it can be contracted through urine. Could I contract CMV from the urine of someone who has a dormant CMV infection?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, CMV can be shed in urine of a person infected with CMV especially when he is in stages where infection is very severe. Such samples can usually be found in hospitals as the person would be very sick around that time.

Public toilets or general rest rooms are places where usually asymptomatic or people with milder infections shed the causative organisms.

Hope, I cleared your doubt.

Follow-up: Pregnant. What diseases can I contract from coming into contact with the urine of an infected person? 3 minutes later
What is the likelihood of contracting CMV from a public toilet? I came into contact with someone else's urine in a public toilet when I accidentally used soilled toilet paper to clean myself after I used the restroom.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The chances are very less.

The toilet paper adsorbs the water in the urine and the virus would die within few minutes.

Wish you good health.