Pregnant. Was on birth control pills, phentermine, topomax and metformin which stopped. Any risk?

May 2013
My daughter is pregnant. She has been taking birth control pills, phentermine, topomax, metformine, which she stopped as soon as she found out she is pregnant. She is 34 and was not planning to get pregnant. Are there any serious concerns/risks to her or the child she is carrying?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
According to FDA,
-Phenteramine and birth control pills belong to category X in pregnancy,
-Topomax belongs to category D,
-Metformin belongs to category B.
So the possibility of fetal risk is there.
As she stopped the drugs immediately after confirmation of the pregnancy, the fetus may escape from the risk.
But it cannot be guaranteed.
So, if she wants to continue the pregnancy, she has to undergo regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.
First trimester ultrasound at 11 to 12 weeks and TIFFA ( Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 18 to 20 weeks are mandatory to detect any possible anomalies.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.