Pregnant, WBC count is low. Having colds, inflamed sinus and asthma. Advise?

Hello, I am 29 weeks pregnant and throughout my pregnancy my WBC has been between 16-18. My OB didn't seem concerned with this at all saying it was normal. My PC on the other hand has been keeing an eye on it since I have been getting sick. Not major sickness just colds, inflamed sinus and my asthma acting up. Last week I was sick nce again and my PCP drew my WBC which came back at 18. He wanted to follow up so I again had BW done yesterday and now my WBC is at a 21. He spoke with a Hemotologist who is having me come in on Monday to have further BW done. How common is this in regnancy and is this something I should be concerned with? I have grown quite uneasy and scared.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 47 minutes later
White count is physiologically increased during pregnancy. In some patients its often seen as high as 20,000. Now without any symotoms, the white cell count being higher than normal,is considered normal. From the obstetricians point of view.
If you have some symptoms of like your are common,and the count can be higher. If your count is increasing on a steady levels, then you should be investigated by a haematologist. I suggest you get the blood work done if you are concerned. Since pregnancy is a immunocompromised state,white count is normally on the higher side. But steadily increasing count,may indicate some underlying disorder.