Pregnant. Varying HCG levels. What is causing this?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
help had dnc 3weeks and 3 days ago was 5 weeks preg, went docs last week hcg level on day of dnc were 3775 and last thurs were 1575, done digital preg test says 2/3 could i be preg as i been havin sex since 3 days after silly i no
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 55 minutes later
hi,

the causes of your present hcg levels are,

-the time taken for the decrease of the hcg levels depends on their levels at the time of D&C,
If levels was higher at the time of D&C, it will take more time for to become zero,

-if any retained bits of conception remain inside the uterus after procedure, the hcg levels may remain high,

-pregnancy
depending on hcg levels ovulation can occur as early as 2 weeks after D&C, so if you had intercourse around that time there is possibility of pregnancy.
but for after 10 days of conception hcg level of 1575 is high,

so with your doctor's advice you repeat your hcg levels after 1 week along with ultrasound to rule out pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Varying HCG levels. What is causing this? 14 hours later
Hcg on date of dnc was 3750 preg test clear blue digital readin 2/3 weeks could i be preg again ?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

as I told pregnancy test kits give positive results by detecting hcg levels,
so as your hcg levels of previous pregnancy has not decreased completely that may be the reason for your positive test result,
depending on hcg levels it may be given as 2 to 3 weeks,

but even if ovulation has occurred as early as 2 weeks after procedure and you conceived, it will be 10 days only up to now, the usual hcg value at 10 days will be around 465,
according to these there is less chance for pregnancy,
anyhow you wait for one more week then repeat the test along with ultrasound which will clarify the doubts.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.