Pregnant. Using nutrilite multivitamin. Will it be safe to take folvite 5mg?

1 mg = 1000 mcg . then the folvite 5mg contains 5000 mcg of folic acid.. is it not a too high dosage for pregnancy ?
I am using Nutrilite Multivitamin which has 400mcg of folic acid.. that should be enough or anything extra is needed ?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I should compliment you for your observations and the query.

No, the dose of 5 mg of folic acid in early pregnancy is not high. This is the recommended dose advised following research. This dose prevents congenital neural tube defects in the fetus and is given only in early pregnancy during the period when the fetal organs are forming.

Regarding the dose of 400 mcg in various preparations, it is the recommended daily intake and hence the vitamin preparations for daily use do not contain more than this amount of folic acid.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications.

Wishing you all the best.....

Follow-up: Pregnant. Using nutrilite multivitamin. Will it be safe to take folvite 5mg? 27 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for the response..
Kindly let me know if I need anything extra as I am right now taking 400 mcg as supplementation .. I hope am taking good food also.. So some mcg will add from food also.. So after from these sources anythinf else is needed.. Can i take a B-Complex supplement also which again contains 133 Mcg of folic.. ? As I heard B-complex certainly helps a growing baby .. ( But Few of B-vit are already present in Multi Vit , which I am taking presently . So does this increase dosage of B-vit , if B-complex Supplement is also taken ? ) ..
Thanks in advance ..
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 36 minutes later

Thank you for the update and query.

Obstetricians and gynaecologists do advise supplementation as the need increases in pregnancy. You ought to take the extra folic acid advised by your obstetrician (up to 5mg) for proper development of neural tube. Fortunately, B complex vitamin including folic acid are water soluble and the extra vitamin, if taken, is excreted by the urine unlike fat soluble vitamins A, D and K. Therefore you may still take the prescribed doses suggested by your obstetrician without fears of over dosage.

I hope I have clarified your doubts to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case any clarification is required.

In case you are closing the query do rate the answer provided by me.

Wishing you all the best...