Pregnant. Using lotion for pityriasis rosea. Will this cause any harm to the baby?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
I'm 21 week pregnant. From last 15 days i'm suffering a lot for skin prob. Consulted with Dermatologist she told that i have developed "pityriasis rosea"..she gave me one lotion but no help i'm getting and it's spreading everyday.

I just want to know that is there any risk for this pityriasis rosea on my baby or my pregnancy. im too much worried for that. And last 2/3 days im suffering with little loose motion, is it bcoz of that prob ?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 8 hours later
Pitryiasis Rosea is a skin problem associated with rash and intense itching. The first lesion is a 'herald' lesion which is followed, in the course of natural history, by other lesions.
Most of the treatment is for treating the symptoms since there is no real cure for the problem itself. So skin creams containing mild steroids and calamity lotion help in addition to oral medicines for allergy. You can safety take anti-allergy medicines like piritone, cetrizine during pregnancy in case the itch bothers you.
This problem is self-limiting. This means that in 4-6 weeks you should be ok by yourself. The treatment given above is simply to treat the symptoms of itch and to make you more comfortable. You could also allow sun exposure; this helps in healing the rash faster but in dark skinned people sun exposure can leave darkened patches where the rash was.
I would further suggest that you avoid hot baths, perfumes, strong soaps, and synthetic clothing.
P. Rosea has no known effects on pregnancy or the baby. So please don't worry on that score.
It is also not contagious and does not spread by close contact to other family members.
The loose stools are unlikely to be due to either the disease or the skin lotion that you applying.
I hope that answers your queries. Take care.
Dr Nirja Chawla
Follow-up: Pregnant. Using lotion for pityriasis rosea. Will this cause any harm to the baby? 3 hours later
Thank you for the reply..
Pls inform me if I want to take cetrizine how many tablet I have to take in a day and how long ?
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 18 minutes later
It would be best to discuss the need for anti-allergy medicines with your doctor and also discuss the dosages in your case. Generally one to two tablets each day is good enough., the most important one would be taken at bedtime since the itching disturbs sleep.
Since all anti-allergy medicines cause some degree of drowsiness and slow reflexes, it's wise not to drive or operate any kind of machinery while on this medication.
Take care,
Dr Nirja Chawla