Pregnant. Urine analysis showed trace of albumin. Is it normal?

my wife urine analysis shows trace of albumin is it normal
she is 18 weeks pregnent.
will this affect the child.
kindly let us know
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Traces of albumin in the urine at 18 weeks of pregnancy are not worrisome.
These are significant if it is associated with other problems like raised blood pressure or diabetes. You can keep a record of her blood pressure readings and get her stress test for sugar done to rule out diabetes.
In case the blood pressure is raised then renal functions and 24-hour urine protein needs to be assessed to detect the degree of renal function affection.
Right now it is not going to affect the mother or the child.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Urine analysis showed trace of albumin. Is it normal? 2 days later
Dr i have checked the BP it is 110/70 and Fast sugar is 85 and having glucose of 75 grs it is 108 .
wt is 53 Kg.
the urine test sample was fist urine for the day .

puss cell count was 6-8
urine was turbid
can u plz tell what further to be done .
is there any UTI.
kindly reply
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The presence of 6-8 pus cells might be responsible for mild albumin in the urine. Since the blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal, there is nothing to worry.
When the pus cell count in urine is more than 5 per Hpf chances of urinary tract being infected has to be considered.
Antibiotics have to be started empirically if there are symptoms of infection like fever, chills , burning urination, bodyache etc.

If there is no relief with the antibiotics taken then a urine culture sensitivity test has to be done to know the species of the bacteria affecting and the test also gives a list of antibiotics for which the organism is sensitive.Then starting the patient on those antibiotics will cure the infection.

Do consult her gynecologist for examination, confirm the diagnosis and necessary antibiotics.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.