Pregnant. Ultrasound showed small fetal pole with no cardic activity. Is this normal?

Mar 2013
iam in 8th week of my pregnency ,i had a u/s a small fetal pole with no cardic activity and the gestinational age according to scan is 5.6 weeks is it a health fetus .can i coatinue the pregnecy
Posted Fri, 10 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
At 8 weeks of pregnancy, the ultrasound should show a fetal pole with definite cardiac activity.
There are two possibilities.
As the pregnancy is through IVF, the dates of pregnancy would be exact if you provide me details of date of ovum pickup and embryo transfer.
I would opine definitely once i have those details.
ALso the ultrasound should be transvaginal in nature.
Take care, and looking forward to hearing from you.
All the best.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed small fetal pole with no cardic activity. Is this normal? 1 hour later
egg retival date is 19 th feb and egg trasfer date is 21 st feb
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again XXXXXX
As per the dates you should definitely be 8 weeks plus.
The findings on ultrasound definitely are suggestive of a missed abortion.
That means that the pregnancy is non viable, that is , it is not growing.
You should consult your treating gynecologist, as it appears that you would require a termination of pregnancy.