Pregnant. Ultrasound showed no fetal node. On medicine for hypothyroidism. What are the complications?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question

I am 6 weeks 2 days pregnant, my regular ultrasound (vaginal USG is not done in my city) shows uterine gestational sac about 5 - 6 weeks old but no fetal node. I have had no bleeding not even spotting, but have been intermittently having quite severe pain with occasional cramps in right iliac fossa. Appendix was not visible in the ultrasound. I am very worried as to why the fetal node is not visible. This is my first pregnancy. I am obese, 29 years old and have slightly high TSH level, and am therefore taking medicine for hypothyroidism. Please help.
XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXX,

normally in fetal pole may not be visible sometimes in 5 to 6 weeks by trans abdominal ultrasound, that could be made out by trans vaginal scan but as you are not having that facility better to wait one more week for confirmation of fetal pole,
as in your ultrasound well formed gestational sac is seen instead of irregular sac, that is good sign so possibly in the next week you may find the fetal pole also.

you are having pain suggestive of appendicitis and also non visualization of appendix will not always eliminate the possibility of appendicitis, obese abdominal wall can create problem in visualization sometimes,
but if you are not having features like nausea, vomitings or other gastrointestinal disturbances, fever etc then the possibility is low, anyhow if pain becomes severe you better consult your doctor once again for through examination, if needed you can go for MRI scan.

hypothyroidism may lead to miscarriage or growth disturbances of fetus but with well controlled levels this possibility can be eliminated.

so now you continue to take your tablets, wait for one more week and go for scan, if pain occurs again visit your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed no fetal node. On medicine for hypothyroidism. What are the complications? 3 hours later

I do have constipation, and mild nausea. can that be indicative of appendicitis? no fever or vomitting though. I thought mild nausea and some constipation is normal in pregnancy? and thank you for clearing my doubt about the foetal node, i feel more assured.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXX,

you are correct, mild nausea and constipation can be seen in pregnancy because of the effect of progesterone,
in case of appendicitis vomtings will be more and abrupt in onset usually associated fever can be seen,
so as you are not having these features don't worry about it and you can plan the checkup as I told.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound showed no fetal node. On medicine for hypothyroidism. What are the complications? 11 hours later
Hello.
thank you for all your help. just some last doubts: is it ok to take psyllium husk for the constipation? and when should i do my next USG to get a clear view of the fetal node?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
hi,

you can take psyllium husk for constipation if you are not having any other intestinal problems or allergy to that product etc,
it may give mild side effects like bloating sensation of abdomen, nausea etc in some women, but these can managed with medication if needed.

after one week you can go for ultrasound, by 6 to 7 weeks the fetal pole will be visible in trans abdominal scan usually.