Pregnant. Ultrasound showed mild prominence of PC system in both kidneys with pelvis. Is this normal?

I am from India. My Wife is 28 weeks pregnant. We had a ultra sound done last month in which it shows : Mild Prominence of PC System in both kidneys with pelves measuring 8 and 7 mm in ap diameter on right and left side respectively. Can you please let me know if this is normal ?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 2 hours later
The renal pelvis is considered mildly dilated when the measurement is about 5-9 mm. The renal pelvis is where urine collects in the kidney before being passed down the ureter and into the bladder. The ureter is a narrow tube which drains the urine from the kidneys to the bladder.In about 2-3% of pregnancies, there is a slight increase in the amount of urine found in the renal pelvis in one or both kidneys. Most babies who are found to have a mildly dilated renal pelvis during pregnancy are healthy when they are born and have normal working kidneys. Your wife should have regular follow up ultrasounds to see the fetal kidney especially. Also ask your Gynecologist to get your case reviewed by fetal medicine specialist

Best wishes