Pregnant. Ultrasound showed AFI level as 8.2 cm. Suggested C-section. Safe for mother nad baby?

Last Sunday(09/06/2013) i had ultra sound which mentioned my AFI level as 8.2 cm and today(12/06/2013) i consulted doctor with report on seeing USG Report doctor informed that my fluid level becoming Low compared to last Scan dated 11.05.2013 which had 14.7 CM of AFI.

So doctor informed me to Take the given medicines for 1 weeks and drink lost of water to increase the AFI and to have next examination on 18.06.2013. If the AFI did within that 1 week period, Doctor informed that we need to decide to go for C-Section as it would't be good for mother & baby to go on with that AFI for normal delivery.

Please check and provide your second opinion. I am really wanted to have a normal delivery. I am really scared.

I will scan the rest of reports & doctor transcript tomorrow(13/06/2013) by 11.AM IST.

Once received, Please review completely and provide your feedback .
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later

I can understand your concerns. Your current AFI is in lower limit, but it is still NORMAL. As AFI less than 5(oligohydramnios) needs urgent intervention.
As your other parameters in the scan is absolutely normal, and it is corresponding with your gestational age, its good to wait and repeat the scan as advised by your doctor. And fetal growth restriction with oligohydramnios i.e low AFI is a problem thing, which is not there in your case.
If the AFI is still decreasing, and if it reaches severe level, you need to be delivered urgently. In such situations I usually give the mode of delivery option to the patient’s, explaining the risks and benefits of normal delivery. Still there is a role for normal delivery, as continuous CTG (Cardiotocographic) monitoring of fetus can be done, if any fetal heart rate abnormalities you can be taken for C-section.
One more factor for a successful vaginal delivery is favorability of your CERVIX and onset of spontaneous pains, than inducing with drugs.
     So kindly take all the drugs which have been prescribed to you, Arginine granules have been shown to increase the AFI. Along with that take healthy protein diet/ protein supplementation.
     Most important thing is maintain Daily fetal movement counts i.e. count for fetal kicks for 1 hour after each meal; all together it should be at least 10. If any time you feel decreased fetal movements, pain abdomen, leaking or bleeding per vaginum, immediately rush to the hospital.
     As you said, follow up with scan, I will be very happy to answer your query. All the best. KINDLY DON'T BE SCARED.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well.

You can consult me again directly through my profile
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif