Pregnant. Ultrasound scan revealed babys left kidney showed pelviectasis with no evidence of calyectasis. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi i'm pregnant of 25 weeks in my 22nd week ultrasound scan says the babys left kidney showed pelviectasis with no evidence of calyectasis.
i want to know whether is it a complication for the baby.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later

Usually some fetuses can show these type of features and these will regress soon.
But sometimes when there is any obstruction in the renal tract that can present in this way.
This is more common in male fetuses.
So regular followups with ultrasound examinations are needed.
After delivery one ultrasound should be done to the baby to rule out any possibility of obstruction in renal tract.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultrasound scan revealed babys left kidney showed pelviectasis with no evidence of calyectasis. Suggest 5 minutes later
hi Dr.sree

thanks for ur reply.
i just want to know. is this will lead to the diseases like failure of kidney or something after the baby delivery when he grows up or something serious with baby health condition.

pls explain as i'm worried coz this is my first child had this pregnancy after 4years of marriage and had several treatment for getting pregnant. hope u understand my mental tension. i need a good health condition child as i think after this i cannot afford for any more pregnancy as per my family condition.

please expalin me regarding this i need my child to be healthy should i take any treatment for this in my pregnancy itself.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later

As there is only dilatation of the renal pelvis and as there is no abnormality in the renal parenchyma, this may not lead to any serious problem.
Evaluation is needed after delivery of the baby.
If at all there is any obstruction like posterior urethral valves that can be corrected by minor intervention.
As in our country intrauterine intervention is not yet well-developed and also as that is not needed for minor problems, no emergency intervention is needed now.
Don't worry these are common problems seen in some fetuses.
Follow with regualr checkups and hope for the best.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.