Pregnant. Ultrasound scan done. Fetus spine is curved. What are the causes of curved spine ?

Hi, my sister just had an ultrasound, she is 19 weeks pregnant. The midwife who conducted the ultrasound discovered that the babys spine was curved, but all other organs looked fine. She could not tell them what to expect or what this might be so she sendt them on to another ultrasound, but the wait is awful. Can you give me a hint on what might cause a curved spine in a 19weeks old featus?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later

Curvature of the fetal spine is called scoliosis.There can be various degrees of scoliosis.This is a developmental anomaly and there might not be any particular cause for it. Folic acid deprivement to developmental defects at the embryonic level-the cause might be anything. In some cases,scoliosis is accompanied by other developmental defects. Your mid wife did the right thing by refering you for a second ultrasound. I think the another ultrasound should be repeated by an expert radiologist just in case any anomaly was missed.

Basically, at present, the second USG report is important. If its normal, apart from the scoliosis then nothing can be done for that at present. After birth, the baby should be referred to a orthopedic surgeon for appropriate management.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you have further queries.