Pregnant. Ultrasound done. What does the report suggest?

My wife is in her 35th week pregnancy. We had last ultrasound when she was 33W6D pregnant. Ultrasound report states that "Placenta is posterior with lower margin 5cm away from the XXXXXXX OS,grade II. No retroplacental clot seen. No evidence of placental previa. No sonologically detectable placental anomaly seen. XXXXXXX OS is closed. Cervical length is normal(33mm)".On seeing the report in 34th Week, my doctor suggest that we should admit her in the hospital in the 35th week for a delivery as waiting for the labour pains and normal delivery can cause excess bleeding for mother or heart beat dip in a baby. Please advice.
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.
Your wife has low lying placenta which can lead to excessive bleeding when delivery takes place as there is chance of detachment of placenta from periphery may lead to bleeding.
So your obstetrician has given proper advice to admit her in the hospital for observation and delivering the baby at 35 weeks.
So if she is admitted, proper steps can be taken during emergency.
I hope I have answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Wish you and your wife good health.