Pregnant. Ultra sound scan showed monochorionic twins. Meaning?

hI there,
I'm 9 weeks pregnant and had my second ultrasound scan today.
The results are - irregular shaped intrauterine gestational sac measures about 2.7cm in diameter, The sac contains 2 fetal poles and yolk sacs with measurements twin 1 6w + 4d 7mm and twin 2 6w + 6d 9mm. Absent cardiac activity in both twins. disintegrated decidua. Another small empty sac of 11mm diameter. Opinon non viable monochorionic twins (missed abortion) possibility of a 2nd empty sac.
Can you please interpret?
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
The findings of your ultrasound scan suggest that you had a twin pregnancy and both the fetuses did not develop any cardiac activity. It is a missed abortion.
There is a possibility of an empty sac too. You will have to get the Dilatation and curettage done under the guidance of your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Ultra sound scan showed monochorionic twins. Meaning? 4 hours later
Thanks for the response above.
By what week (gestation period) would a heartbeat be present? Or what is the latest that a heartbeat can be seen in a healthy pregnancy?
At the moment I am neither bleeding nor cramping, it it worth waiting another week and having another ultrasound scan?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Heartbeat usually appears at 5-6 weeks of gestation and is visible on an ultrasound scan latest by 7 weeks. In your case, you are 9 weeks pregnant by dates and the scan shows the fetal growth near 6 weeks 4 days. This shows that the heart beat did not appear at 6 weeks and the fetus stopped growing after that.
You can wait for one more week and get a repeat scan done for your peace of mind.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.