Pregnant. USG report showed placenta posteriorly located in the upper segment of the uterus. Is it safe?

Hi,I am 19 weeks pregnant.My placenta is posterior in uppper segment and it is of grade2 maturity.Is is safe?What are the reasons of early maturity of placenta?My cervical length is 3.3 cm.This is my first pregnancy and i'm bit worried.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 hours later
Your usg report that says that the placenta is posteriorly located in the upper segment of the uterus states the location of the placenta.There is nothing abnormal about the maturity or location of the placenta according to your gestation.You need not worry about that.Also your cervical length is absolutely normal and you need not worry about that.We only worry about the placenta if its low lying near the cervix as that may causes bleeding.In your case, everthing is fine in terms of placenta and cervical length.
Follow-up: Pregnant. USG report showed placenta posteriorly located in the upper segment of the uterus. Is it safe? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor,I'm feeling bit relaxed.But I read on net that grade2 maturity of placenta is normal in 33-34 weeks and grade1 in 2nd trimster.Mine is just 19 weeks, so shouldn't it be grade1?So, worried if placenta get torn up more quickly and reach grade3 early or it's nothing like that?Do I need to take good amount of protein to make it stronger or anything else?What are the reasons behind the maturity of placenta,is it because of heat in the body or jerks while travelling?My job timings is from 11am to 9pm and i don't get time to rest in between.Thank you once again.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Placental maturity occurs due to many embryonic and maternal conditions.The grading of the placenta is observer specific and may vary.Anyways,by 20 weeks grade 2 is usually seen right upto 32 weeks and then early grade 3 signs can be seen.
At present dont worry about that.Consume a well balanced high protein diet and make sure that you blood tests are normal.You can repeat another ultrasound at 32 weeks.
Heat and travelling are not related to placental maturation.But you do need adequate rest.If you dont have free time for rest at least make sure that you sit down at regular intervals and sleep well at night. Make sure your blood pressure remains normal.