Pregnant. Torch test showed positive for CMV IgG. Any harmful affect on baby?

Question
Hi I am 5 weeks prgnant and got CMv IgG as 140 Au/Ml , but all other readings are normal in Torch Test, Please suggest that what is the impact of this?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 43 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing to us. I am happy to help you.

At 5 weeks of pregnancy, you did TORCH test and it reveals all normal parameter except CMV IgG which is 140 Au/ml.

Generally, Ig-G positive indicates previous infection or immunity to the infection. It is neither so important nor affect the present pregnancy. But as CMV IgG levels are high enough, there is possibility of reactivation. Though, it will not affect the baby. Therefore, you can continue the pregnancy and need periodic antenatal checkups (ANC). Ultrasound scan is also required to detect any possible anomaly at the earliest.

On the other hand, if there is Ig-M positive (high level), then it indicates an active infection and can cause abortion or miscarriage of the current pregnancy.

In this scenario, you can consult with your gynecologist regarding this and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Some basic things for healthy pregnancy:

1) Take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/ day and consume more vegetables & fruits. Start to take folic acid & other vitamin supplements.
2) Drink more water/ juice for better feto-placental circulation. Keep bowel habit regular also.
3) Complete avoidance of any type of sexual activity/ heavy work/ long journey / using high heal shoe etc.
4) Take adequate bed rest, preferably 8-10 hrs in divided schedule.
5) Maintain genital hygiene properly and check weight gain & BP periodically.

Hope, above information is very much sufficient to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health with successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Torch test showed positive for CMV IgG. Any harmful affect on baby? 4 minutes later
thanku so much..ut means that I need not worry as my igm is 0.31 index.
I got really tensed.pls suggest tht I will not affect my,baby

Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 37 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for follow up query.

First of all, you do not need to be much worried about test results as CMV IgM 0.31 index indicates negative infection and just enjoy your pregnancy. It will not affect your baby generally.

But you must do periodic ante natal check up and one ultrasound scan around 8-10 weeks to check any type of fetal anomaly though it is unlikely.

Follow all suggestive measures for healthy pregnancy and be calm & cool.

Be well & take care yourself. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Dr Soumen