Pregnant. Took rantac for acidity, heartburn, gas formation and pelvic pain. Worrisome

Hi Doctor,

I am 23rd week pregnant lady. Since last 1 month I am sufering from extreme acidity, heartburn and excessive gas formation. Everyday I am taking rantac liquid for this problem, but it is of no help.

Also, since last 2 weeks I am feeling heaviness in abdomen everyday evening time. And everyday evening onwards I feel pain in belly region, sometimes above, sometimes below or sometimes around the belly button. Also I feel pain in pelvic region, just above pubic bone, and it is sharp pain - just like pricking of needles.

For your information, my 20th week scan was normal, but I am worried because of this pain
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 35 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to answer your question. I am sorry about the delay but will try to provide you with an excellent answer.

First lets address the problem of heartburn and increased gas. This is extremely common during pregnancy and is known to get worse as the pregnancy goes along. It is related to the slower emptying of the stomach and relaxation of the sphincters that prevent acid from flowing backwards. Also, the bowels just work slower in general and constipation and a gassy feeling are common. For this, most OB/GYN's might recommend:
1. Stool softeners - colace 100mg 1-2 x per day
2. Gas-X - contains simethicone, a medication that helps absorb gas
3. Antacids - you imply that you are on one already. Consider trying a different one, like prilosec.
4. Ask your doctor about a prescription medication called Reglan - this helps with stomach emptying

Now, with regard to the pain. You are describing a diffuse poorly localized pain that is likely of low concern. Many women experience pain that we refer to as round ligament pain. This is felt on one side or the other, is worse with movement, and often radiates down into the groin on both sides. Also, many women have pain at the joint that is the pubic bone in the midline. So this sort of fits with what you are describing. You can take tylenol, use a heating pad and expect that this will get better over time.

If the pain is regular with tightening of the uterus (like contractions) or if you are having any bladder symptoms, then you need to run this by your OB/GYN and see what they think.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!