Pregnant. Took oleptal for epilepsy. Is it safe to take zefretol and levipil?

Is zefretol safer than oleptal in pregnancy
My wife suffers from epilepsy and was on oleptal od 600 (0-0-1) and Levipil 250(1-0-1) till now. The doctor has prescribed Zefretol 800(0-0-1) and Levipil 500(1-0-1).How safe is this dosage is for her in pregnancy.
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 42 minutes later

Levipill contains Levetiracetam. Levetiracetam is an anticonvulsant medication used to treat epilepsy. Special precautions need to be taken during pregnancy.
I recommend your wife to get investigations like renal and kidney function test done before starting levipill. Dosage is absolutely fine. If psychotic symptoms (hallucination) and behavioural symptoms ( agitation, anxiety) occur, reduce dosage after consulting with your Gynecologist

Zeftretol contains Carbamazepine. It belongs to category FDA D. In simple words, there are risks involved but the benefits outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.

Both these drugs(with above dosage) can be used in pregnancy with minimum risk to the fetus.
I recommend your wife to get a detailed anomaly scan at 20 weeks to ensure a healthy baby.

Hope this answers your query.
I will be happy to help you in case you have further queries.
Dr Nilofer