Pregnant. Took miferstone followed by misoprostol. Having bleeding with cramps. Taking buscopan tab for cramps. Continue pills?

Sir/mam, I had an USG done for 5 weeks of pregnancy on 13/06/2013. I took 1 miferstone 200mg followed by 400 mcg misoprostol after 48 hours, where as the recommended dose is 800 mcg..Today is the 4th day after i administered misoprostol, there has been enough bleeding for first two days and now i have been bleeding intermittently with cramps.I have been taking buscopan tab for cramps..Should I take the rest two misoprostol pills(400mcg) orally now as the intermittent bleeding is on..Please respond, whether I should take these pills or not.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

The bleeding you are experiencing and cramps are sufficient proof that the desired effect of the drugs is being obtained. After bleeding for the first two days and having cramps, a decrease in the quantity of bleeding is just normal.

I suggest you do NOT take the drug again, take the Buscopan to get relieved from the cramps and observe. Within the next few days, significant decrease in the signs and symptoms of pregnancy should be observed.

Within a week, the bleeding should completely stop. In case you continue experiencing bleeding, persistent signs of pregnancy, spotting or pain, you might have to consult your doctor. If not, I suggest you just stay calm for now and observe. You can take your Buscopan for now. Suspend (STOP) the mifepristone and Misoprostol.

Thanks as I wish you the best. Feel free asking further questions if need be.
Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Took miferstone followed by misoprostol. Having bleeding with cramps. Taking buscopan tab for cramps. Continue pills? 23 hours later
thanx sir for responding..Would you please suggest any nutritional syrup such as iron & folic acid etc..or What do you think I should take now as nutritional supplement. Please suggest me name of any syrup and their doses.should this surrup be taken now as intermittent pain and bleeding is on
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 8 hours later
Thanks once again for your query,

As earlier mentioned, I am afraid you really do not need a syrup or specific drug at this point in time. What you experienced are expected signs and symptoms, considered very normal when the drug is taken. However, in case of severe or intense intermittent pain, Buscopan and a like immediate dose Ibuprofen, 800mg daily in two doses should be very sufficient.

Prescribing an Iron/Folic acid syrup is only justified if you have lost a considerable amount of Blood. In such a situation, I would suggestion 90 to 100mg of any Iron/Folic acid combination(Folifer, Ranferon) could all help.

I really do think what you really need now is to be calm, monitor the pain and bleeding for they should decrease. A vegetable and fruit XXXXXXX diet are appropriate at this point in time.

Thanks once again wishing you good health. Best Regards,

Bain LE, MD.