Pregnant. Took fried neem leaves with brinjal. Any harm to baby?

My wife is 31 week pregnant .. last 2 days she has taken fried neem leaves with brinjal during lunch. Today I have found in wikipedia that neem leaves are used as contraceptive. So, can you please tell me whether it can harm the baby and if yes, what should we do now?
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 1 hour later

First of all, taking fried neem leaves with brinjal (neem begoon) is contraindicated particularly in preconception stage when couple are trying for an issue as it acts as contraceptive and may reduce the chance of being pregnant.

There are no studies available that shows neem is safe during early pregnancy. It should not be taken during first or 2nd trimester of pregnancy also while chance of miscarriage is high enough.

In this context, taking neem begoon for last 2 days during third trimester (as she is now 31 week) usually doesn't cause any harmful effect to baby & mother. But it should be discontinued from now to avoid preterm delivery or premature labor. Consult with your obstetrician regarding this and proceed routine check up as usual. Don't be worried.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Took fried neem leaves with brinjal. Any harm to baby? 9 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. Patra for the information. It is very useful for us. She has stopped taking neem leaves immediately after finding in wikipedia that it is harmful in pregnancy; but whether there is any way to flush out the effect of neem leaves already consumed or to minimize its toxic impact?
Answered by Dr. Soumen Patra 12 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I like to appreciate for stop taking neem leaves after getting information from wikipedia.

Here, you have nothing to worry as she takes those only for 2 days. Toxin product is possibly flushed out with urine and stool.

She should take healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with more vegetables and drink more water or fluids/ juice which can help to flush out as usual. Also she continues prescribed medication along with.

Hope, this helps. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Good luck. Take care of her.

Dr Soumen