Pregnant. Took abortion pills, bleeding occurred. Pregnancy test still positive, no periods. Did I have a successful abortion?

Hi I had abortion pill 11 weeks ago I was 5weeks pregnant I have since had a period but I am one week late now for my 2 period since the abortion I have done a pregnancy test and it is positive is it possible the abortion never worked . I lost clots and bleed for over a week when I had it done and have since had a period so thought everything was fine but not sure now and if I was still pregnant would the baby be ok as that would make me about 16 weeks pregnant now is there a way to find out if all is ok please help and thankyou for your time xx
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
After taking the abortion pills, prolonged and persistent bleeding is an expected side effect. If you took the pills 10-11 weeks ago and the pregnancy test is still strongly positive then it is possible that a complete abortion has not taken place or you might have conceived again during this time.
Now to find out the exact situation you need to have an ultrasound scan as soon as possible. This will help in the proper diagnosis.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.