Pregnant. Tonometry test done, put some proxymetacaine drops in eye. Is there any harm to foetus?

May 2013
I've just been for an eye test and all was fine until she tried to do the test where they blow air into your eyes to test pressure. It was getting a high reading because I was tense so she had to do a different test called a tonometer. She had to put some drops in my eyes which I just realised are an anaesthetic type eyedrop called proxymetacaine. I didn't ask her aboutt it and she said it would all be gone in twenty mins. I'm only eight days past ovulation and not had a positive test back yet but I'm worried that if I am I shouldn't of had it done incase I've harmed the baby. I'm panicking a bit now.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 30 minutes later

according to FDA proxymetacaine comes under category C drug in pregnancy,
no adverse effects noted in human pregnancy according to literature and there are no sufficient animal studies on it,
so as the doctor told it will be eliminated from body in 20 minutes and as you are just in implantation stage(in case of positive pregnancy), possibly there may not be any problem to your baby.
so you don't worry, take folic tablets and multivitamin and mineral tablets from now onwards and check for pregnancy at the time of your expected date of periods.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.