Pregnant. Thyroid level 7.4. Taking medication. Will this affect the fetus?

Question
in the six month and two week pregnancy my wife found increase thyroid level 7.4
but she was not examined before that , i m worried about fetes development
now she is under thyroid treatment taking 50mcg tablet
will thyroid problem hurt fetus development
can hypothyrdism possible in the first month of pregnancy if yes can it had given harm to unborn baby will treatment give the healty baby
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
Hypothyroidism can occur in first trimester of pregnancy also & thyroid hormone is having important role in fetal brain development.
So now it is mandatory to get TSH done as soon as pregnancy is diagnosed.
In case of your wife as hypothyroidism is detected at 6 months 2 weeks, fetus is fully developed & now there is no use of thinking about early pregnancy.
Second thing is if she is getting good fetal movements & baby is growing well according to gestational age means fetus is well inside.
Let her to continue her medications as advised by your doctor & hope for the best.
I will be available for your further queries,

Follow-up: Pregnant. Thyroid level 7.4. Taking medication. Will this affect the fetus? 9 minutes later
thanks doc for answering
during routine checkup in the 7th month movement was fine and growth was good enough
but in the routine checkup 7 & 1/2 month doc told growth is not good enough
what can be interpreted through this development

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 10 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Welcome back,
If you are having a doubt your wife should get an ultrasound scan done.
In ultrasound if fetal movements are good, amount of liquor( fluid around fetus) is adequate, fetal weight is good according to gestational age, then there is no need to worry.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Thyroid level 7.4. Taking medication. Will this affect the fetus? 6 minutes later
thanks once again, one last question
is TSH level = 7.4 create panic or its should taken not so worry

Welcome back XXXXXXX
In pregnancy there should be normal thyroid level.
You do not know what was the thyroid level in early pregnancy, so now to think about that & to get worried is of no use.
Now your wife is on medication to correct hypothyroidism so think about best & get her investigated regularly.
Thank you