Pregnant. Tested for rubella antibodies panel. What does the finding suggest?

Excellent

Question
Hi , I am XXXXXXX and two month pregnant . I tested for Rubella antibodies Panel, where IgG is 85.60 IU/ml. Could you explain the result and Impact?
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Hi

The rubella IgG and IgM reports do not suggest an active infection. High rubella IgG titers mean that you have had a rubella infection or vaccination. It just means that long-term immunity against rubella is at work and the levels will remain that way for the rest of your life.

The rubella IgM value is a better indicator of an active infection. Since the values in your report are fortunately in the normal range, I will suggest that you correlate with your medical history. If you have had an active rubella rash since the start of pregnancy, then the risk of the fetus getting affected can be high. In that case, you will need to follow-up with your gynecologist. If you did not have an active infection since pregnancy then we need not worry. Fetal well-being can be monitored in ultrasound. Repeat Rubella antibody titers can be done to see the progress.

Hope I addressed your concerns.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested for rubella antibodies panel. What does the finding suggest? 38 minutes later

I am not sure with you answer that IgG higher is good or bad. If it is bad, how will it effect fetus ? what need to be take care ? Please also elaborate by example mean of " active infection"

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

High or low rubellla IgG value cannot be used as an indicator of an active infection. It is helpful to see the progress of the infection (if present). In which case repeat tests are done to correlate with the infection.

The active infection is the main cause of concern during pregnancy as it may cause anomalies in the fetus. Active infection means signs and symptoms of rubella are present and the virus is circulating in the blood. The signs and symptoms are too general like mild fever, swollen lymph nodes, mild cold symptoms and tonsils. The only noteworthy sign is rash that is characteristic of rubella. The rash is composed of distinct red spots and erythema. It starts on face and extends to neck, chest and extremities.

If you did not have these symptoms during this pregnancy, then there is no cause for worry The high IgG values merely indicate past infection or vaccination with rubella vaccine. It is usually given as a component of MMR vaccine.

Let me know if you had the vaccine or rubella symptoms in the past. I will be able to clarify further.

Hope I addressed your concerns.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested for rubella antibodies panel. What does the finding suggest? 21 hours later
Thanks for further clarification. Yes, I had a rubella symptom approx 5 year back. However, I also had the vaccine in my child hood.

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Hi again,

Since you had a vaccine in the childhood and rubella symptoms 5 years ago, my conclusion is that both of these are responsible for the high values of IgG. Also these high values are harmless to the fetus.

Dr Vaishalee