Pregnant. Test showed rubella and cytomegalo virus IgG positive and IgM negative. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
My wife is pregnant since last nine months. Last year, miscarriage was occured after completing 12 weeks. this time doctor suggested for torch test. In torch test result, Rubela Igg is 74 and Cytomegalo virus Igg is >20 and others are normal. What should i do? should it be carried or abort?
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

Can you please clarify whether she is 9 months pregnant or nine weeks?
Because the management will differ depending on the gestational age.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Test showed rubella and cytomegalo virus IgG positive and IgM negative. What to do? 1 hour later
she is nine week pregnant.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later

According to your wife's reports:
She is having Rubella and Cytomegalo virus IgG positive and IgM negative.
It indicates previous infection or immunity to the infection.
So that may not affect the present pregnancy generally.
But as IgG levels are high sometimes there is possibility of reactivation.
And usually reactivation will not the affect the baby much.
So she can continue the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to detect any possible anomaly at the earliest.
You discuss these possibilities with your doctor and follow her advice.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Test showed rubella and cytomegalo virus IgG positive and IgM negative. What to do? 9 hours later
sir/madam,
is it 100% guarantee, there is no problem at all in baby & mother due to rubell igg or cytomegalo virus igg.

I can understand your anxiety.
But according to the diagnostic criteria, it can only be said that most possibly there may not be any problem to mother and baby.
Giving 100% guarantee is not possible just by seeing the reports.