Pregnant. Test showed High TSH level. Taking levothyroxine. Is this the cause of concern?

Question
Hi
I'm 7 weeks pregnant and my bloods come back with tsh 17 which I understand is extremely high. I am so worried and stressed that I have caused damage to my babies brain already. The doctor has put me on 50mg of levothyroxine for one week and then 100 mg after one week. Could I have caused damage? This is my first and just can't get the thought out of my head
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing. High TSH during pregnancy can lead occassionally to a low IQ in the offspring if its untreated for atleast few weeks. IQ reduction is only a few points like 4 - 6 points. It doesnot happen in everyone with high TSH but in a few of them. Its difficult to predict who among them gets a baby with low IQ. From my experience I can say with confidence that many women with TSH similar to what you have had delivered apparently normal babies. Certainly hypothyroidism doesnt cause brain damage as you think. You have been started treatment as soon as detected so its long since you became hypothyroid. So chances are that no adverse impact has occured by then. Dont worry just continue taking thyroxine as instructed & hope for the best.
Hope this helps.
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Pregnant. Test showed High TSH level. Taking levothyroxine. Is this the cause of concern? 19 hours later
thanks for your answer. can i just also ask, if i take continue thyroxine, will i see a change in my energy levels, weight, bloating etc which are symptoms of hypothroidism? i had these before i was preganant but just thought i was a vey tired person, but was never overweight really i am 67kg and 5"5ft. do you know how long i could have had hydothyroidism? its really weird aswell, as my sister has just been diagnosed with hypothroidism in same wee, without either of us known about each other! thankyou for your time

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 25 hours later
Its difficult to time the onset of hypothyroidism because it progresses at different rate in different people. But its definitely not very long like 2 - 3 years. The symptoms you have noted are not specific and can also be seen in patients without hypothyroidism. If they are due to hypothyroidismthey will resolve within 3- 6 months. If not they are not due to hypothyroidism. So followup will resolve this matter.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad