Pregnant. Taking torleva. Does it affect the fetus?

I am now pregnant - 29th week. I am taking Torleva 250 in the morning and Torleva 500 Night. Does it affect foetus.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding pregnancy and epilepsy and use of levetiracetam in pregnancy and about the risk to the fetus, I can say that there are no controlled studies in women or in animals. Pregnancy registries have claimed it to be safe in pregnancy and have not reported any major fetal anomalies so far. Anomaly scans (USG) are usually done at around 16-18 weeks and can detect major anomalies in the fetus.

My recommendation would be for you to continue on Torleva as we do not have any evidence for major anomalies in fetus. In my practice I have not come across levetiracetam induced fetal anomalies. If the anomaly scan was normal I feel the medicine has not caused any harm to the baby and you are likely to have a healthy and normal baby.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist