Pregnant. Taking plain Livogen instead of Livogen XT. Any complications on baby's growth?

Hi Doc, I am in 34.5th week now. My OB had prescribed Livogen XT and Supracal D. some how by oversight i have been taking plain Livogen instead of Livogen XT and just saw that they both have different compositions. My question is does this have any serious implications on the baby's growth? can i switch over to Livogen XT from plain Livogen now? if I do so will it create any problems?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question today!

Both the Supracal and Livogen are vitamin supplements used in pregnancy. I think that you are doing well with the proactive stance that you are taking with regard to making sure that you are getting enough Iron, Folate, Vitamin D and calcium.

With regard to the different compositions, I have done some research and can not tell that there is any significant difference in terms of the Livogen vs. the Livogen XT. I would say that the two are interchangeable, and that it does not matter which one you take.

The baby's growth is determined by many factors. These supplements alone will have a small impact on growth. What is more important is eating a healthy balanced diet. Most things that significantly impact a baby's growth relate to complications of pregnancy, such as blood pressure issues and diabetes.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have more questions!