Pregnant. Taking home remedies for sore throat and cough. Can otrivin nasal drops be taken?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I am 13 weeks pregnant. I am having sore throat and cough for past 1 day. My nose is blocked and head seems heavy. I am taking home remedies like ginger, hot gargles and vapor. Can I take Otrivin nasal drop for congestion. If not, can you please suggest some alternative? Nose congestion is leading to heaviness in the head. Please suggest.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Otrivin can be used Detailed Answer: Hello, If you have nasal blockage you can use Otrivin nose drops 2 drops both nostril 2 times a day for 5 days , these drops should not be used for more than 10 days continuously. It is safe in pregnancy as not absorbed much.It is better than the oral medication. You can also use normal saline nose drops which are good for nose wash and of course are safe. I do not prescribe drugs in pregnancy , But if you are having severe headache you can use paracetamol sos (if required), it is safe in pregnancy. Do you have a dry cough or there is expectoration??. I prescribe chericof syrup in pregnancy. it is safe .It will take care of nasal blockage and cough both. Otherwise if you do not want to take medicine then in home remedies mulathi can be used for cough. If there is expectoration then you need to see doctor and get your lungs examined and then antibiotics can be prescribed. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking home remedies for sore throat and cough. Can otrivin nasal drops be taken? 10 hours later
Thanks for your response Doctor. I have dry cough. No experctoration yet. What kind of saline drops should I buy? Can you give any product name?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer: take the names Detailed Answer: Hello, Normal saline drops are easily available like the nasoclear normal saline nose drops or Otrivin S nose drops, or Solspre nasal spray or Physiomer nasal spray. In doubt do reply
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking home remedies for sore throat and cough. Can otrivin nasal drops be taken? 2 hours later
Thank you again. I have a tendency to suffer from pharyngitis and used to take Loxof. The cough syrun you mentioned above, will it be good if I have the same infection? Also, I was reading online that Chericof contains some combinations of medicines which are not good for the baby. I am confused. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: loxof is not safe Detailed Answer: Hello, Chericof syp is safe, but should not be overused. Take for around 5 days or best if used SOS (ie when required). I have discussed this with a gynecologist also. But do not take Loxof in pregnancy. In pregnancy Amoxicillin with Clavulinic acid is safer. Like brand names ---Augmentin or Advent or Moxclav etc In pregnancy, drugs in general should be avoided. You can use otrivin drops but that too take when required or if used daily then for less than 7 days. in doubt do reply