Pregnant. Taking folic acid. Did not take before pregnancy. Safe?

My wife is now 16th month pregnant and is taking folic acid tablets. But she didn't take it at the beginning before pregnancy and upto the 12th week. Will this create any problem? Also, will consuming folic acid from 16th week cause any problems. Though I have visited gynecologist and is medicating as per his instruction. I am a little confused as here it is advised to have before pregnancy till 12th week.
Also suggest when to take iron and calcium tablets... or any other.

Also my wife is taking zincovit syrup following the advice of the gynecologist that we visited. One months dosage.
Please advice.
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Folic acid is helpful upto 12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Folic acid deficiency in the mother caused fetal anomalies. Organ development of the fetus happens within 12 weeks of pregnancy.

So the folic acid have to be taken in the preconception period upto 12 weeks of pregnancy to prevent fetal anomalies. It can be continued after 12 weeks also.

To rule out fetal anomalies a fetal anomaly scan need to be done at 20 weeks of pregnancy.

Iron and calcium tablets need to be taken from 16 weeks of pregnancy and to be continued in the post natal period also.

Zincovit is a multivitamin supplement and can be taken.

Hope the answer helps you.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking folic acid. Did not take before pregnancy. Safe? 9 hours later
Should folic acid tablets be stopped when iron and calcium tablets are started..... as I said my wife is in 16th week and as per your suggestion iron and calcium tablets need to be taken. Please mention the names of tablets for iron and calcium.... thanks
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Folic acid may be continued.

Detailed Answer:

Folic acid can be taken alone with iron and calcium supplements.

There are many brands available.

Let me mention the commonly available in the market so it make be easy for you to buy.

Tab. Orofer for Iron and Tab. Shelcal for Calcium.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking folic acid. Did not take before pregnancy. Safe? 2 hours later
Thanks Sir.....
Please also tell me the dosage... how many tablets a day and when....

Presently my wife is taking folic tablets....
Dosage is one tablet at night after dinner.

Please suggest dosage..
Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Once a day.

Detailed Answer:

Ferrous sulphate is nothing but Iron.

So your wife is already on iron in combination with folic. Continue the same table in the same dose as once daily.

Calcium should be taken once daily preferably. 500 mg is recommended for pregnant women.