Pregnant. Taking Fertigyn injection every week. What is it for?

Question
hi i am 33 years and got confirmed today that i am pregnant visited my gynace and she gave me fertigyn 5000 mg injection and told every week i need to take ,could u say me the reason why i need to take this injection every week?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking Fertigyn injection every week. What is it for? 2 minutes later
the medicines are miprogen 200mg and vitalin 800

Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 28 minutes later
Hello.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Fertigyn 5000 contains, hormone human chorionic gonadotropin (better known as hCG) is produced during pregnancy. HCG is made by cells that form the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall.

HCG promotes the maintenance of the corpus luteum during the beginning of pregnancy, causing it to secrete the hormone progesterone. Progesterone enriches the uterus with a thick lining of blood vessels and capillaries so that it can sustain the growing fetus.

That is the reason it has been prescribed for you weekly.

Other medications are Miprogen which is Progesterone which is good for pregnancy continuation and Vitalin (Folic acid) which prevents nueral tube defect in babies. You are advised to continue these medications.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.

Regards.