Pregnant. TSH level is high. What are the impact and medication?

Question
My wife 24 years in her first trimester is said to have TSH level 7. Now she is in 12 weeks of pregnancy. Though I have appointment with Endocrinologist, I would like to understand its impact. No medication have been taken so far. Pleaes advise.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in. High TSH means body is making less thyroid hormone-we call that hypothyroidism. During pregnancy baby cannot make thyroid hormone for first 20 weeks and so is dependent on mother for it. If mother herself has less thyroid hormone less will be transferred to baby. This can reduce IQ of the baby. The recommended TSH during 1st trimester is <2.5. So needs to be started on thyroxine replacement ASAP.Her TSH of 7 wouldnt have had any impact on baby so far because its only very slightly abovr normal. So start thyroxine ASAP.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Pregnant. TSH level is high. What are the impact and medication? 2 minutes later
Thanks you so much Doctor! I am having an appointment tomorrow so shall start medication asap. Thanks for the quick response as i was tensed.

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 10 minutes later
No problem
Shivaprasad