Pregnant. TSH level high shown in blood test. Should I get worried?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hello.. i am expecting and this is my second pregnancy and 8 weeks completed. In my blood test report TSH levels were high (4.97). Is this something to worry? should i get it cross checked and doing another blood test?
Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi,

Normal range of TSH in first trimester(0 to 12 weeks) of pregnancy is 0.24 to 2.99,
As these normal values differ depending on the labs and thyroid levels change greatly in pregnancy, some amount of deviation from normal values is normal,
But usually above 4.0mIU/L is taken as high value,

Now you consult your doctor and under her guidance undergo,
Blood test for T3 and T4 levels,
If TSH is elevated with normal T3 and T4 levels that is sun clinical hypothyroidism
If TSH is elevated with decreased T3 and T4 levels that can be taken as hypothyroidism,

In pregnancy we have to more careful as hypothyroidism or even sub clinical hypothyroidism can sometimes cause,
Pre-eclampsia, miscarriage, postpartum hemorrhage etc in mother
Low birth weight, cardiac dysfunction etc in baby,
But don’t worry with early diagnosis and proper treatment all these can be prevented,
So consult your doctor and undergo above tests.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. TSH level high shown in blood test. Should I get worried? 2 days later
Hello, thanks for your clarification, further to your reply, I got another check done on sunday at Fortis Bannergatta road bangalore and this time the results were:
T3 - 93.82 ng/DL --- biological reference range - 80.00 - 200.00
T4 - 8.19 μg/DL --- biological reference range - 5.10 - 14.10
TSH - 3.880 μIU/ml --- biological reference range -0.27 - 4.20

I have not started taking any meds yet. All the above figures appear to be in range. Does that mean all is ok and i dont need thyroid meds.

hi,

I hope that your doctor mentioned in the investigation slip that you are pregnant ,
then as all your reports are clearly showing that all your hormones are within normal range, no need to worry,
you can follow with regular visits and ultrasound examinations.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.