Pregnant. Swollen and painful labia after having intercourse. Applying cansten cream. Any solution?

i am 37 weeks pregnant and my labia is swollen . its very painful . i had intercourse couple days ago which trigger it off . it is really painful and i dont know what to do . i habe been soaking it with extremely hot water as my body can take it . im considering applying cansten cream .
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The swelling and pain are likely due to mild trauma sustained during intercourse and possible mild infection

The use of extremely hot water may actually aggravate the injury by damaging the skin further.
It would be best to use XXXXXXX warm water containing normal non iodized table salt or epsom salt , about 1/2 cup of either. This should be done for 10 to 15 minutes , 2 to 3 times a day.

The only pain killer that can be used is paracetamol which can be taken 2 tabs every 4 to 6 hrs, no more than 8 in a day.

Canesten would be helpful if there is any evidence of yeast infection such as a white yellow curdy discharge or vaginal itching.

If the soaking is not helpful after 24 hrs, you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment, if possible.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Pregnant. Swollen and painful labia after having intercourse. Applying cansten cream. Any solution? 5 hours later
the swelling is getting bigger and its covering my vaginal hole ... are the pills safe for me to take as i am pregnant ?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Paracetamol is the only pain medication that is safe in pregnancy,it is commonly used in any of the trimesters.
The other pain medications such as ibuprofen/cataflam are not recommended and cannot be used but because of their anti inflammatory actions would have actually worked better.

Remember to do the sitz baths with XXXXXXX warm water only, with salt added.

IF the swelling is progressing, it may be best to see your doctor.

Feel free to ask anything else