Pregnant. Suffering from type 2 diabetes and restless leg syndrome. How to get relief?

This is related to my wife's restless leg syndrome, atleast that's what she thinks it is, as she cannot sleep unless she moves her legs in her sleep. She is diabetic Type 2 since May, 2011 and is currently 20 week pregnant. She has been suffering from restless leg syndrome for a long time and now that she is pregnant its elevated and she is unable to sleep at nights. Can you recommend anything that will ease her misery and help her get sleep.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

This problem might be due to diabetes and as now she is pregnant, restless leg syndrome may be aggravated due to increased pressure on vascular system giving rise to low blood flow to the limbs.

What I suggest her is to go for injection of B1, B6, B12 after consulting Obstetrician.

Frequent change of posture will help in her coming out of the suffering.

Give her Iron, Vitamin B. complex, Calcium and multivitamin supplements.

Give her plenty of milk, pulses, and cereals.

Avoid sedentary life style and go for light exercise.

Hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.