Pregnant. Suffering from cough, noticed small streak of blood. What are the risks?

Hi i have had a really bad cold for over a week, mainly attacking my sinuses. I now have a cough and noticed small streak of blood on 2 occasions only in the morning. I am currently 7 weeks pregnant
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

The described symptoms are suggestive of upper respiratory infection - a common flu.

You haven't mentioned if you are running fever. In the absence of fever the cause of infection is a virus (flu) and such flu infection is generally self limiting - symptoms usually would resolve with steam inhalation, antihistamines, good hydration and plenty of rest.

However associated pregnancy puts you at risk of low immunity where the symptoms can be progressive, thus warranting physical. I would like to have your chest examined by a physician to see for signs of pneumonia. A routine blood count can be useful as X-ray is contraindicated in pregnancy.

In the meanwhile, continue steam inhalation with menthol along with saline nasal drops. Benadryl syrup or other cough syrup can be taken if cough is severe. Plenty of rest with fruits and vegetables and adequate hydration will aid in faster recovery.

The bottom line is, though the symptoms are self resolving, pregnancy poses risks. Pregnancy may also be affected by severe cough. Hence visiting your local doctor at the earliest is recommended.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other inquiries.

Warm Regards